Volunteering to Help Others Less Fortunate
Mary Magdalen House cannot operate without volunteers. Those who offer their time to help us in our work are most welcome. We have many opportunities. Join our regular volunteers here and share the reward of helping others in need.
Most Needed Volunteer Services
Mary Magdalen House can always use more volunteers for both full-time and part-time work. We need volunteers in many positions and both appreciate and count on them for helping us in our mission to serve the homeless. Here are some current requirements where you may be of help:
Regular On-Going Volunteers (1-2 Times per Week or Month)
- Sorting of donations (clothing or toiletries)
- Helping with laundry of guests' clothing
- Assisting with sign-up of guests and getting needed clothing as needed
- Unwrapping small bars of soap for guests (take-home project for younger children)
- Preparing care packages for guests (soap, shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, razor, etc.)
- Tightening shower heads, leaky faucets and doing other minor plumbing repairs
- Changing burned out light bulbs and doing other minor electrical repairs
To learn more about volunteering at Mary Magdalen House, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Jenny Perez, at 513/721-4811 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Financial gifts are gratefully welcomed by Mary Magdalen House to sustain operating costs and to purchase needed items which have not been directly donated.
Donations are always welcomed. Ninety percent of Mary Magdalen House's budget comes from private donations. Checks may be sent by mail to us at:
Mary Magdalen House Foundation
1629 Republic Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Please contact us directly if you are considering a memoriam for a relative or loved one, or a planned gift. Helping the poor and needy in perpetuity is a beautiful way to be remembered.
We hope you will help us as we continue to serve the homeless of the Cincinnati area.
Clothing and Personal Item Needs
Mary Magdalen House also relies on the goodness of benefactors and donors to supply it with the basic goods to help others. If you can help by providing any of the items listed below, please call us directly.
Mary Magdalen House will gladly receive bags of good, clean, and gently used clothing. We do request that socks and underwear be donated new. Please consider the time of year when you are making a donation of clothing; we lack the space to store off-season clothing.
Our Most Needed Personal Items**
We especially need the following items for our guests. These items are among the most requested by guests:
- WHITE SWEAT SOCKS (We use 1 dozen or more a day)
- UNDERWEAR (Sizes 30–38 most needed)
- THERMAL TOPS/BOTTOMS (Large, XL and up)
- T-SHIRTS (Large, XL, and up)
- SWEATERS, SWEATSHIRTS (especially hoodies!) (L, XL and up)
- SWEATPANTS (Medium and Large)
- WORK PANTS, JEANS (30–36)
- LONG SLEEVE FLANNEL SHIRTS (Large, XL & 2XL)
- SHOES (Size 10 and larger)
- WINTER GLOVES
- GYM SHOES
- BRAS, especially new sports bras
- THERMAL TOPS & BOTTOMS
- SWEATSHIRTS, SWEATERS (Large & XL)
- SANITARY NAPKINS AND TAMPONS
- GYM SHOES
- AFTER SHAVE AND COLOGNE
- SPRAY DEODORANT
- TOOTH BRUSHES
- VASELINE. PETROLEUM JELLY
- WASH CLOTHS
- TRAVEL SIZE SOAP, SHAMPOO, LOTION, TOOTHPASTE
- COMBS AND BRUSHES
- GIFT CARDS: Kroger, Target, Wal-Mart, Meijer
These additional items can help Mary Magdalen House provide a cleaner environment and better service to our guests.
- Plastic bags (13 , 30, 33, 39 gal sizes)
- Liquid Drano
- Liquid Lysol
- Laundry detergent
- Chlorine Bleach
- Cleaning agents (Mr. Clean, Top Job, etc.)
- Paper towels
- Toilet tissue
- Window cleaning supplies (Windex, etc.)
- Note pads (4 X 6 in)
- Clorox II
- Sheet fabric softeners
- Kleenex tissues
- Pens and pencils
- Backpacks and day packs
**For the most updated list of needs, please check our blog.
We welcome your help and support of Mary Magdalen House and its mission. We invite you to visit us and experience firsthand what we have tried to express in this website.